Interior Picture of the Desert View Watchtower. This is a 70-foot (21 m)-high stone building located on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. The four-story structure, completed in 1932, was designed by American architect Mary Colter, The interior contains murals by Fred Kabotie. The bottom floor of the tower now contains a gift shop while the upper floors serve as an observation deck from which visitors to the national park can view eastern portions of the Grand Canyon. Desert View Watchtower was designated a United States National Historic Landmark on May 28, 1987. License for Editorial Usage Only.